Housing & Hospitality Services
UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services is currently involved in many sustainability initiatives and has plans to embark upon many more in the near future. UCLA H&HS recognizes that focusing on sustainability programs, which profoundly influence behaviors and support sustainable lifestyles, may have the greatest positive impact for our environment.
Our Sustainability Mission: UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services will meet or exceed UC and UCLA policies on sustainability while demonstrating through action that sustainable practices are a critical component of our quality services, products, and programs.
Our Sustainability Vision: Hospitality First! Sustainability forever.
Read a message from Peter Angelis, Assistant Vice Chancellor for UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services, about H&HS’ commitment to sustainability here.
– UCLA Dining’s premier residential restaurant, Bruin Plate, is a 4 Star Certified Green Restaurant. Bruin Plate implemented 108 steps in the six environmental categories of energy, water, waste, food, disposables, and chemicals, earning 314.28 GreenPoints™ to become just the 6th restaurant and the 3rd university in the US to achieve 4 Stars.
– UCLA Dining now has Tower Gardens on Sproul Landing Sun Deck. The gardens feature 50 aeroponic grow towers, which will provide herbs and greens to Bruin Plate. The modular, stackable growing structures accommodate 44 plants per tower, allowing us to grow 2,200 plants simultaneously! The towers use 90% less land and 95% less water than conventional farming methods.
– UCLA is the largest Fair Trade Certified campus in the United States. UCLA Dining has committed to purchasing at least 2 Fair Trade Certified products in all residential locations. Currently, we offer Fair Trade Certified tea, sweeteners, espressos, decaf, and coffee in locations across dining locations.
– Housing & Hospitality Services has partnered with UCLA Sustainability Action Research program to tackle issues ranging from food waste to proper diversion. You can learn more about the most recent project here.
– Compost bins are in! You can now dispose of compostable materials across the Hill from residence halls to all quick-service restaurants. Learn more about how to sort your waste here.
– UCLA’s 11th Annual energy competition was another success! This year’s Energy Games saved over 48,000 kWh of electricity! See all results here!
– In 2017-18 Dining Services donated over 2,500 lbs of food to the Community Programs Office Food Closet. Read more about our food donation efforts.
– The 2011-2017 drought in California was one of the worst in the state’s history. Learn more about drought in California and how you can help UCLA conserve water.
– The Hill currently has 7 LEED certified buildings, these buildings have been designed to save water and electricity, and to ensure that sustainable practices are enforced.
Sustainability Initiatives in Housing & Hospitality Services
Click below to learn more about sustainability initiatives in Housing & Hospitality Services.
Get Involved – Living Green
Looking for ways to get involved in sustainability on the Hill or in the University Apartments? Read up on opportunities in student leadership and find tips on living green at UCLA. Don’t forget to provide direct feedback and input to Housing & Hospitality staff!
Media and Awards:
Daily Bruin: Reusable water bottle program intends to reduce dining waste on the Hill
Daily Bruin: Veg Pledge encourages students to maintain sustainable diet for three weeks
UCLA Newsroom: Sustainability efforts win recognition for UCLA
UCLA Newsroom: Housing sustainability team awarded for their project
UCLA H&HS: Four of UCLA Dining’s restaurants Green Restaurant Certified
Phone: (310) 825-5873