Housing & Hospitality Services
UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services is currently involved in many sustainability initiatives and has plans to embark upon many more in the near future. UCLA H&HS recognizes that focusing on sustainability programs, which profoundly influence behaviors and support sustainable lifestyles, may have the greatest positive impact for our environment.
Our Sustainability Mission: UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services will meet or exceed UC and UCLA policies on sustainability while demonstrating through action that sustainable practices are a critical component of our quality services, products, and programs.
Our Sustainability Vision: Hospitality First! Sustainability forever.
Read a message from Peter Angelis, Assistant Vice Chancellor for UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services, about H&HS’ commitment to sustainability here.
– UCLA Dining’s premier residential restaurant, Bruin Plate, is a 4 Star Certified Green Restaurant. Bruin Plate implemented 108 steps in the six environmental categories of energy, water, waste, food, disposables, and chemicals, earning 314.28 GreenPoints™ to become just the 6th restaurant and the 3rd university in the US to achieve 4 Stars.
– UCLA Dining now has Tower Gardens on Sproul Landing Sun Deck. The gardens features 50 aeroponic grow towers, which will provide herbs and greens to Bruin Plate. The modular, stackable growing structures accommodate 44 plants per tower, allowing us to grow 2,200 plants simultaneously! The towers use 90% less land and 95% less water than conventional farming methods.
– UCLA is the largest Fair Trade Certified campus in the United States. UCLA Dining has committed to purchasing at least 2 Fair Trade Certified products in all residential locations. Currently, we offer Fair Trade Certified tea, sweeteners, espressos, decaf, and coffee in locations across dining locations.
– Compost bins are in! You can now dispose of compostable materials in restrooms all over the Hill, in addition to the bins in Sunset Village and Quick-Service Restaurants. More bins are on their way! Learn more about how to sort your waste here.
– UCLA’s 7th Annual energy competition was another success! This year’s Energy Games saved over 119,000 kWh of electricity! See all results here!
– The team at Energy Upgrade California recognized the UCLA Sustainability Team at the UCLA Basketball game at Pauley Pavilion on November 15, 2015 Read more about UCLA Energy Champions
– In September 2014 Dining Services donated over 1,300 lbs of food from the New Student orientation to the LA Mission. Read more about our donation program.
– California’s drought conditions mean it’s even more important to conserve. Learn more about California’s drought and how you can help UCLA conserve water.
– The Hill currently has 7 LEED certified buildings, these buildings have been designed to save water and electricity, and to ensure that sustainable practices are enforced.
Sustainability Initiatives in Housing & Hospitality Services
Click below to learn more about sustainability initiatives in Housing & Hospitality Services.
Get Involved – Living Green
Looking for ways to get involved in sustainability on the Hill or in the University Apartments? Read up on opportunities in student leadership and find tips on living green at UCLA. Don’t forget to provide direct feedback and input to Housing & Hospitality staff!
Media and Awards:
UCLA Newsroom: Bruin Plate earns sustainable food service award
UCLA Newsroom: New UCLA dining hall serves up a plateful of healthy ideas
UCLA Newsroom: It’s not easy eating green
UCLA H&HS: UCLA Dining Services to celebrate purchase of 1.5 million cage free eggs
UCLA Magazine: The Vegan Campus
Green Restaurant Certification: Rendezvous earns UCLA’s first green restaurant certification
UCLA ESLP: Student Preferences Concerning Drought-Tolerant Landscaping at UCLA Presentation on the Hill
UCLA Newsroom: UCLA Works Toward Water Conservation Projects to Combat Drought
Phone: (310) 825-5873