Did you know that one ultra-low temperature (ULT) freezer can use as much energy as a single family home?
If your lab is interested in replacing an old ULT freezer, UCLA Green Labs has funds to help you upgrade to more energy efficient models. After checking your eligibility for the program below, please fill out the form below.
- Your lab has retired/is retiring a ULT freezer that is >8 years old
- Your lab has removed the record of the retired ULT freezer on UCLA’s Asset Management System. Provide a screenshot or other documentation in the form.
- Your lab has purchased an Energy Star listed ULT freezer of same or smaller size as the retired freezer. Your new ULT freezer is NOT a chest freezer.
- Your lab has purchased a ULT freezer that includes an alarm that notifies you of its condition in real time, or plan to purchase one to be installed with your freezer.
- Your lab has reviewed and made visible the Freezer Maintenance Guide and agrees to make best efforts to adhere to its suggestions (e.g maintaining an inventory and map of valuable frozen samples, removing frost from door seals regularly)
- Your lab agrees to participate in the UCLA Green Labs Certification program
After you have confirmed your eligibility and purchased a new ULT freezer (from accepted models shown below), our team will work with your lab to disburse a rebate according to the attributes of the new freezer.
|Freezer Size||$ for EnergyStar Freezer|
Consuming <0.35 kWh/day/cu-ft
|$ for EnergyStar Freezer|
Consuming 0.35-0.45 kWh/day/cu-ft
|< 700 L (24.7 cu-ft)||$2000||$1500|
|>/= 700 L (24.7 cu-ft)||$3000||$2000|
With our initial funding, we expect that we will be able to help around 40 labs replace their old ULT freezers. In the future, we are also considering offering rebates to labs who are only purchasing an additional (and not retiring) a ULT freezer, or giving cash incentives to labs to simply retire old ULT freezers. Watch this webpage for updates on our program, and feel free to email email@example.com with any questions or comments you might have!