- This event has passed.
TEDxUNEP: Racing to Zero with Higher Education: Acting and Enabling Global Decarbonization
October 13, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Countdown and Race To Zero are global campaigns to rally leadership and support from governments, businesses, and other institutions for a healthy, resilient, zero carbon recovery that prevents future threats, creates decent jobs, and unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth.
Countdown seeks to cut greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in half by 2030, while the objective of Race to Zero is to build momentum and awareness of the Intergovernmental Climate Meeting (COP26) scheduled for November 2021 in Glasgow. Both are sending a resounding signal to governments that the broader community is united in meeting the Paris goals and creating a more inclusive and resilient economy.
Hundreds of colleges and universities from around the world have committed to the Race to Zero’s goal of Net-Zero by 2050 at the latest. Many have also signed onto interim goals or have committed to reach carbon neutrality by 2030 or before.
UN Environment Program, Second Nature, The EAUC, and others are working with campuses worldwide to achieve their carbon reduction goals and serve as a catalyst for others to take action. This program is part of that work.
- Michael Drake, President, University of California System (invited)
- Joyce Msuya, Deputy Director, UN Environment
- Nigel Topping, UK High Level Champion for Climate Action, COP26
- Education Minister – TBD
- Tim Carter, President, Second Nature
- Sam Barratt, Chief of Youth, Education and Advocacy, UNEP
- Explore actionable and cost-effective pathways to CO2 emissions reduction
- Understand the role of higher education as a leader in decarbonization
- Learn how to participate in Race To Zero in the lead-up to COP-26
This program is co-hosted by Second Nature and UNEP’s Youth, Education & Advocacy Unit. It is part of TEDx Countdown. This webinar is free and open to the public. If you are not available on the day of the program, you can still register and a link to the recorded program will be sent to you after the event.