- This event has passed.
California Climate Change Symposium
January 25, 2017 @ 8:00 am - January 26, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
About California Climate Change Symposium 2017
California Climate Change Symposium 2017 is the premier forum for the sharing of cutting-edge research addressing the impacts of climate change on the state. This research informs the state’s strategies and policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to develop programs to safeguard California from a changing climate. California Climate Change Symposium 2017 is convened by the California Natural Resources Agency, the California Environmental Protection Agency, the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research.
This year’s symposium will feature preliminary reports from California’s Fourth Climate Change Assessment, a status report on the state’s Climate Change Research Plan as well as presentations on emerging research.
- Facilitate the production, adoption and application of climate science with respect to California policy and local governance
- Provide a forum for sharing recent science and practical applications relevant to climate change impacts and vulnerability
- Foster the translation of regional climate change research into policy solutions
- Expand support for climate science research with applications to California’s environment, public health and economy
- Facilitate collaboration across scientific research fields and public policy silos
The program structure consists of eight panels, where scientists, policymakers, and practitioners will address the following topics:
- Sea-Level Rise
- Adaptation on Natural and Working Lands
- Tools to Advance Adaptation
- Social Science Approaches to Reducing Barriers to Adaptation
- Extreme Heat: Vulnerabilities and Responses
- Fuel System Vulnerabilities
In addition, a series of distinguished keynote speakers will make presentations throughout the day.
Researchers, local governments, private sector stakeholders, and other groups working to support climate resilience shared posters at the California Climate Change Symposium 2015 to present current scientific research projects or implementation of strategies to promote climate resilience.
There will be a dedicated poster session with a reception at this year’s symposium. Sign up on the California Natural Resources Agency’s Climate List-Serve to be notified when the submission period for posters will open, and other important details.