UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services offers off-campus housing for undergraduates, graduate students, students with families, faculty, and visiting scholars throughout Westwood and the West Los Angeles area.
Visit the Guide to Green Living for tips on how to live a more sustainable lifestyle.
Some of the initiatives within the University Apartments include:
- -Low flow showers and faucets
- -Dual flush toilets
- -Beverage container recycling
- -Sustainability topics and recycling in newsletters
- -Quarterly “green issue” educational flyers
- -Green workshops (composting, gardening, recycling, etc.)
- -ENERGY STAR appliances
- -LEED construction
University Apartment on Landfair planted drought tolerant plants.
In Summer 2013, University Apartments partnered with LADWP to replace refrigerators and toilets with more efficient units.
- –1,260 new energy efficient refrigerators were exchanged for existing units 10 years or older and have the potential to save residents $112 per year.
- –4,760 toilets at 1.6 gallons per flush (gpf) are on track to be replaced with 0.8 gpf toilets, with an estimated savings of 4 million gallons of water annually.
University Apartments South Residents’ Association promotes sustainability through their Green Coordinator, who puts on programs and provides resources on sustainability within UA South.
In an effort to support the mission of the University by providing a venue for a living laboratory, UCLA Department of Electrical Engineering and the Institute of Environment and Sustainability collaborated with UCLA H&HS’ University Village apartments to investigate how real-time energy consumption feedback can be used as an effective tool for energy conservation, called the ENGAGE project.